Thursday, October 10, 2013

Dog Tick

I remember as a young girl staying in a house with 4 to 5 dogs, I liked to spend my time with my dogs. I used to drag them near me and started to find tick in between their furs. Before I started with finding the tick, there was a bowl of kerosene (minyak tanah) beside me to dump the tick in it. Another way doing it was to prepare tissue to pop the tick to dead.

The ticks could be small, medium, and engorged one. The engorged ones were easy to find because they were seen in between furs. The small ones (babies) normally were found in one area form a group with the mother. The babies were difficult to remove as they were just a small dot size. The common locations for the tick are dog's armpit, space in between toes, below tail (near anus), and ears.



My dogs when I was primary school were the lazy type. They didn't like to go out from the house to sunbath. That's why they had so many tick. But since I had my dog Pinkan (the half chow chow breed), she liked to sunbath outside on 12pm to 1pm when the sun was super hot and bright. That's why she had lesser smell because the sun washed the stinky smell away even though her fur was thick. She was very smart, she knew how to take care her self. She has lesser tick than my previous dogs. And at the end of her life, I guesses she had no tick at all.

The dog after her, Carrie, was also smart. She was caring and friendly. As a young dog, she saw Pinkan always went out to sunbath in the afternoon. She also did the same. She sunbath almost everyday. She didn't like to bath and she knew when I prepared the shower gel and her towel. She quickly ran and hide below the table. She also didn't have tick.

I really miss my dogs... :(

No comments: