Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Qonquering 2nd Museum : Peranakan Museum

We walked to this museum with umbrella. It was raining.

I found this one is interesting...may be because I am PERANAKAN.

You are PERANAKAN if you exchange tray before your wedding. There are 4 tray need to be exchanged. In Indonesia we call it : Sang jit.

From groom's family to bride's family :
1st tray : 1 set of jewelery and hong pao
2nd tray : pork leg
3rd tray : 1 pair of liquor, 1 pair of candles and few oranges
4rd tray : clothes for the brides

From bride's family to groom's family :
1st tray : not sure ...sorry
2nd tray : cut pork leg
3rd tray : 1 pair of syrup, give back lesser oranges, and give another type of fruits
4rd tray : clothes and slipper for groom

And I just realized that everything I have at my Jakarta's house from my grand parents are actually heritage of peranakan. Because almost everything in that museum are similar to ones I have at home.

My auntie gave me a box full of beads, very colorful. And the size is also different from now a day's beads. Older beads are smaller in size.


Seeing all the things there was really amazing.

No comments: