Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sun Down Marathon 2012

I was forced to join this run race by Niko. I only trained once 2 days before the race. I could still feel the musle pain because of the last minute training during the race. We started 7 minutes later from the gun time. At the first 100 meter we could still run together. After that, he went first leaving me behind with my turtle speed. The first kilometer is always tough...the subsequent km was better with the body has been warmed up n the so called engine has run in higher gear. I enjoyed the first 6 km. Then the route led us to a narrow bridge where we spent a lot of time for queueing to pass the bridge. After the bridge was the dark n narrow path beside Kallang river. I think that was the worst part. Many of them,including me, just walked. If I want to take over, it's a bit difficult tough. So I took the opportunity to rest hoping that the next km I would be able to run. The end of this dark narrow path was a staircase leading to Geylang road..OMG. I almost fell, lost balance, when I climbed the staircase. I guess it was because we use different musle when we run. Then suddenly the body needs to switch using different muscle. I also don't like the Geylang route. They only provide 1 lane for the race. It ended the same as the narrow path, difficult to take over. So I walked again...sigh..waisting time. Another thing on Geylang is there are many vehicles. I can feel the different in cleanliness of the air. Finally we turned to nicholl highway again, indicating thay we were almost near the end. The sign showed "8km". The last 2 km was better. Niko had just finished when I was in Nicholl highway and he was waiting for me near the finish line. I finished with in 1 hour 33minute gun time. He finished 15 minutes earlier than me. I guess my timing wouldn't be that bad if the route was not that narrow dark path n the stupid bridge. I need to blame my self on not trained properly before the race. I went home with few blisters on my feet, a medal,n hungry stomach. I am looking forward to join standchart or great eastern end of this year.

No comments: